Are you disturbed with those tiny red bumps on your face? Is this skin problem draining your money to get rid of it?
Are skin care products not helping to prevent that acne from coming back? There are indeed alternative ways to treat this type of skin condition cost-effectively.
The tiny red bump on your face is called acne. Acne is also a common skin disease experience by millions of people globally.
According to Global Acne Market report, there are approximately 680 million people around the world experience this kind of skin disease.
Acne develops when there is an overproduction of oil from the sebaceous glands that are mixed with the dead skin cells and clogs the pores.
At an early stage, it may appear as a red spot on your skin, however, when Inflammation happens underneath the skin’s surface, which is called dermis.it may result in blackheads.
On the other hand, when inflammations extend above the surface of the skin or epidermis, this may lead to whiteheads.
Causes of acne
Acne is caused by overproduction of oil from the sebaceous glands, but there are other factors which may cause acne.
Genetics – DNA carries the genetic information that we acquire from our parents. These genes influence our skin sensitivity and the amount of androgen we produce. Genetics can be a factor, but it does not mean that we also carry the number of acne that our parents have, because all DNA information are unique and differ from each individual.
Hormones – during puberty, hormonal change occurs. As the number of androgen increases, the oil glands get larger and produces a severe amount of sebum that triggers acne growth. Hormonal acne usually occurs in women, especially during the menstrual cycle. As hormonal level change during the period, the oil gland overdrive and the pores pops up, and acne emerge.
Poor Diet – eating the right food is also a factor to obtain a clear, glowing skin. It is beneficial for the skin to eat tomatoes, carrots, sweet potatoes, turmeric, salmon, papaya and other veggies. Food does not really cure acne, but it can help your body to regenerate new good skin cells and reduce skin blemishes.
Poor Hygiene – pollution and dirt within the environment can also affect your skin. Dirt carries bacteria that get into the pores and could lead to acne. Make it a habit of washing your face regularly. Choose the right kind of soap that is appropriate for you. It is also recommended to wash your face with warm water for deeper cleansing.
Just a gentle reminder even if washing your face is a good thing. Don’t overdo it, because it could lead to skin irritation and blemishes. So just wash your face at least twice a day with mild soap to keep your face clean.
Stress – Dermatologists at Stanford University observe students who went to the school clinic for acne treatment for two skin care exams. The first skin test was done during relative stress, and the other one was during when the student is on a relaxed state.
Results show that the changes in acne severity correlate highly with increasing anxiety. For this reason, it is necessary to lessen activities that can trigger stress level to rise. Having enough sleep will also help your body relax and regenerate new skin cells.
Medication – people who are under medication may also experience acne development. There are drugs which contain ingredients that can cause an adverse reaction to the skin. It can also provoke overproduction of sebum in the sebaceous glands and prompt acne growth.
Self Medication – other people, try to self-medicate to get rid of their skin problem., However, there are dangers in doing this without the help of a dermatologist. In cases like this, it is advisable to go to a dermatologist to analyze the skin problem and diagnose your condition to prescribe the proper kind of antibiotic which is necessary for your skin.
Self-medication is a significant risk especially when you are unaware of the side effects of the medicine that you are taking. This could lead to other health problem which can significantly harm your body.
Cosmetics– makeup use can also irritate your skin and provoke acne growth or cause an allergic reaction. Cosmetics contain chemical ingredients such as acetylated lanolin, benzaldehyde, D & C Red, Ethylhexyl Palmitate and other harmful chemicals that can prompt acne growth or even damage the skin.
Makeup can enhance your look, but it can also damage your skin especially if you are not aware of the right application of a cosmetic product that you used.
Natural Treatment for Acne
- Lemon Juice – Lemon juice isn’t just a good drink, but it can also treat acne because of its acidic content. It can reduce oil, kill bacteria and could also reduce scars. However, applying lemon juice can cause dryness of skin if used everyday Directly applying it to pimples could sting but will not harm your skin.
Make sure to wash your face with lukewarm water before applying lemon juice. If you experience a stinging sensation, add water to dilute the acidity. Allow the lemon juice to absorb the oil for about 20 minutes then rinse with warm water after.
- Apple Cider Vinegar – has an antifungal and anti-microbial property. It is an excellent source of organic acid like lactic, ascorbic, and tartaric acids which nourishes the skin and kills bacteria.
In applying apple cider vinegar, mix it with honey and gently use it on your face. Let it sit for 5 minutes before rinsing with water.
- Baking Soda – It is not only used for baking. Baking soda can also be used for acne treatments. It has a pH level of 9 which is highly is highly acidic and can harm the skin. It is recommended to use baking soda mixed with some oil at least once or twice a week.
- Egg Whites – this contains amino acid and vitamins which helps to regenerate skin cells and remove excess oil. Unlike any other natural treatment, it is not acidic, and it acts as a mild astringent to prevent bacterial formation.
Like other natural treatments, it is recommended to wash your face before applying egg white. Let it rest on your face for a few minutes before rinsing it with warm water. Also, apply moisturizer after drying and washing your face since it can dry up the skin.
- Papaya – this contains vitamin B, C, and beta-carotene that strengthens the immune system, encourages regeneration of new skin cells, reduces excess oil and eliminates dark spots.
Papaya can be applied daily on your face. Let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes and finally rinse it with water.
- Tea Tree Oil – extracted from the leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia plant, tea tree oil is an effective antifungal and antibacterial plant that can stop acne. Tea tree oil is not edible like other natural treatment and can only be applied to areas of skin that has acne and blemishes. It is recommended to use this product every other night to avoid any irritation and drying out of the skin.
Also, use tea tree oil at night. Using it during the day may damage your skin due to its interaction with sun rays that carry ultraviolet light.
- Garlic – has a sulfur compound called thiacremonon that dries up the skin and reduces oil. It is also suitable for blood circulation which allows the skin tissues to receive vitamins.
To use garlic, get at least three cloves. Slice it then directly apply it on the affected area of the skin. Leave it for a few minutes then wash your face with water. If you experience burning that seems unbearable, wash it off immediately.
- Warm Water – this dilates the pores and can provide deep cleansing on the skin. It can remove dead skin cells that are deeply seated in the pores. However, using tap water that contains chlorine and other chemicals may irritate the skin.
There is no amount of skin treatment or medication that can surpass the natural way of preventing acne. Being practical by using a natural method of treatment allows you to save money and time in going to a dermatologist. It also has a long-term effect and safer than going under the laser or blue U light therapy.
At times, using sophisticated technology in skin treatment may damage the skin when done incorrectly. This is also one of the reasons why it is recommended to use the natural products.
Acne is a prevalent skin problem, but it still needs attention and treatment. It is something that you can’t ignore since it affects your confidence. Acne needs to be addressed since it can affect your self-esteem and confidence around people.
Taking care of your skin is not only for self-gratification, but it is also an indication that you take pride in proper hygiene. Having bright and glowing skin is not something to brag about, but it is something that you need to thank for.
Natural remedies may be the best way to treat acne because you do not have to deal with the side effects that other skin care product or procedure has. However, taking the natural path take more time for the results to appear. Nevertheless, there is a guarantee in using the natural treatment, the cure can be permanent, and it is safer no matter what.