The future of your skin condition rests on several factors that come into play. Acne attack is a common problem that causes embarrassment and dismay to those who suffer from it. Treatment is administered in many ways, but results may vary depending on its cause and severity.
What is Acne?
Acne is common. Hair follicle disease that usually appears in the face, chest and back parts. Almost all teenagers during puberty are affected with this condition with the Neolithic tribes as the only exception, those primitive who lives in isolation. Although bacteria do not cause acne, it plays a significant role in these breakouts.
Acne appears on the skin like a pimple, blackheads or whiteheads, pustules and those severe condition called cysts acne. For treatment options, one can choose over the counter products and natural home remedies to heal acne. However, it is essential to consult a physician first and inquire about acne treatments that suit your skin.
What Causes Acne?
Acne is associated with the hormonal changes at the time of puberty. The sebaceous (oil) glands attached to the hair follicles are stimulated, and this increase in oil production affects at how the skin cells mature and eventually plug the follicular pore.
Bumps belong to the acne family that plugs hair follicles, gradually enlarges and eventually capturing the wall- allowing normal skin bacteria and irritation substances to access into the skin’s deeper layer.
A pustule is producing when inflammation occurs near the skin’s surface only, and papules are in the thicker layer, while a cyst is formed if the swelling is much more profound.
Considerable Factors For Acne Formation
If both parents of the acne patient had acne, most likely he/she will develop some acne breakouts as well. Acne is even more difficult to control especially if the parents’ acne is so severe.
Several skin care products and cosmetics are pores clogging in comedogenic. The water-based brands are usually the best products for those with acne. Choose makeup that is marked hypoallergenic and fragrance-free. It is crucial to check out the list of ingredients and choose the product that is best for your skin.
Some medications trigger the occurrence of acne breakouts. National Institutes of Health stated that some of the antiepileptic and anti-depressants prescriptions are acne-causing drugs. For example, the Dilantin drug for epilepsy which is anticonvulsant.
Lithium is an antidepressant descriptive drug that helps bipolar and depressive patients. Another acne-causing medication are Thiourea and Thiouracil, for people with thyroid glands problem.
Disulfiram for severe alcoholic people and Imuran for awaiting organ transplant patients are also included as medicines that cause breakouts to develop. Quinine for malaria and Isoniazid for tuberculosis have underlying side effects which are acne.
Those people working in fast food chains are prone to acne. Skin’s exposure to oil and grease causes hair follicles to clog, swell on later and develop into acne spots somehow.
There are materials that when rubs skin can be an acne trigger. Wearing helmets, hats, tight clothing and backpacks can add sweat and dirt that constrict and causes friction in the skin. All these materials that produce skin pressures aggravate acne, and acne-type called acne mechanica.
Do’s And Don’ts To Avoid Acne
- Use mild face washes that contain salicylic especially for people with oily skin. To those with dry skin, use gentle cleansers that has glycolic and lactic acid; that gently exfoliates skin. Wash face morning and evening since too much washing can strip-off the natural moisture. Frequent scrubbing can irritate and can stimulate oil production that aggravates the breakouts.
- It is recommended to use a toner right after cleansing especially people with oily skin. Toners that are alcohol-free are best for dry skin causing it to shrink. Use the moisturizer that is mild and oil-based right after toning the skin to block the pores and keep its glow.
- One thing helpful for acne is to choose high fiber diets such as green leafy vegetables, fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids, seafood, nuts, and salads. According to American Journal of Nutrition, study suggests that a person will have fewer breakouts if he/she adds more whole grains, beans, veggies and cut back on pasta, white rice, and bread including sugar.
- Drinking lots of water daily can help keep skin clear. Although water is not the solution to severe acne, adequate hydration can keep your body nourish along with proper healthy lifestyle.
- Exercise can help your skin stay healthy because blood circulates and send enough oxygen to skin cells that takes away the waste it carries. It is essential to address stress by doing physical activity because sweating helps take away body toxins.
- Just take a shower right after the exercise since sweat causes skin irritation that might lead to acne.
- Do not prick nor pop your acne because it forces debris and bacteria into your skin more deeply. Squeezing pimples will introduce other kinds of bacteria that will land inside other pores. What is riskier in popping those pustules are dirty fingers that could cause infection and will lead to a permanent scar.
- Do not use skin care products that are oil based because it traps bacteria and eventually plugs the skin pores. It is better for you to discover over the counter products that suits your skin needs.
- Do not sleep at night without removing makeup. The dirt and oil mix up from whole days worn cosmetics and will clog skin pores that in turn lead to acne.
- Do not believe in everything you read”, according to Jeannette Graf- a dermatologist in Great Neck, New York. You must be careful in using solutions even those natural home remedies such as baking soda, toothpaste, nail polish remover, etc., that you have seen on the internet and social media. Be sure to make a skin test to avoid irritation and infection.
- Do not overexpose yourself in the sun because Its ultraviolet rays aggravate redness and inflammation. It is best to used sunblock with SPF 30 before exposing to sunlight.
- Do not hesitate to consult the doctor if you observe the acne has developed severely. Early medical interventions can prevent further infection and threat of scarring your skin.
Best Home Remedies for Acne
- Apple Cider Vinegar For Acne
Apple cider vinegar contains many beneficial properties that kill acne-causing bacteria. It has succinic acid that suppressed inflammations and lactic acid that improves the appearance of scars because of acne.
How to use:
Prepare 1 part of apple cider vinegar and three parts water or more for those with sensitive skin. Mix the ingredients and before applying make sure that face is cleansed. Using a cotton ball apply gently to the affected area and leave on for 20 seconds only. Wash face with warm water after and let it dry. Do this process twice a day.
- Honey and Cinnamon
Honey and cinnamon have many antioxidants that help in cleansing debris and wastes that clog up the skin pores. These two medications can’t treat acne. However the anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antioxidant compounds are beneficial for an acne prone skin.
How to use:
Prepare two tablespoon honey and one teaspoon cinnamon to form a thick paste. Apply mixture to your face as a mask and leave on for 15 minutes. Wash off with warm water properly and let it dry.
- Green Tea
Green tea has an antioxidant compound that is beneficial for one’s good health. The epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG) is green tea’s primary antioxidant that fights inflammation, lessen oil production and minimize the growth of acne-causing bacteria. Drinking tea is not an assurance for acne healing, but it contributes to its development since it also shows to lower insulin and blood sugar level.
How to use:
Prepare green tea by boiling in water for four times, then let it cool down. Apply the solution by putting it in a spray bottle, so it will be easy to spritz on the affected area. After the sprayed liquid gets dry, wash face and let it dry.
- Zinc Intake
An oral zinc supplement is a nutrient source that is good for hormone production and cell growth. It has been shown in research that taking-in zinc has a significant reduction in breakouts.
The amount of zinc present in the compound is called elemental zinc. It is based in several studies that using 30-45 mg of elemental zinc per day can reduce breakouts.
However, zinc overdose has an adverse effect like irritation of gut and stomach pain. Proper supervision from medical doctors is best recommended.
Acne treatment is a task that needs patience and dedication. There is nothing wrong in trying the remedies mentioned above as long as you follow the steps and tips correctly. It also requires total body approach treating the condition inside and out.
It may be difficult to treat acne and if treating makes you disappointed just never give up and keep going. Perseverance is vital. Be patience and make sure you are determined to keep that acne away on your face.