Allergy is another skin problem that cannot cause breakouts or acne in the skin. Although the user of the wrong medication for skin allergy can trigger or aggravate the skin that can cause acne. Allergies are sometimes mistaken as acne, that’s why the use of medication like salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide is used to treat them, without knowing the proper treatment for skin allergies. The acne medication can irritate the skin more that can lead to more damage and dryer skin the can worsen the situation. As we know dry skin can clog the pores that can lead to acne but knowing the difference between acne and allergy can help you treat them correctly and avoid the breakouts of acne. The first thing we need to know what is the acne and allergy?
What is acne?
Acne is a long-term skin disease that commonly seen in the face, it always occurs during puberty stage. Acne happens when the pores are clogged or blocked by the oils, bacteria and dry skin. It can be trapped inside the hair follicles of the pores that make it swell or inflamed. There are different types of acne the inflammatory and the non- inflammatory acne.
The inflammatory acne is composed of 4 types
- Papule – is a much smaller size of acne that is almost not inflamed; it is a color pink tiny bump in the face. This is the earliest form of acne vulgaris.
- A pustule – is another type of inflammatory acne that is much larger than a papule. The inflammation is much obvious and it is trapped inside the pores that can be seen in the face. This tiny red bump has a white color dot on top.
- Nodule – Is larger than the first two types of acne. It appears to be super red and the inflammation takes place all over. The damage pores are beyond the surface of the skin. This type of acne usually ends up scarring the face after it healed.
- Cyst – is the worst type of acne and this is the largest of all types of acne. It appears to be super hot red and very painful to touch that sometimes radiate in the jaw or neck. The cyst is the hardest to treat and sometimes require medical attention. The problem of this acne lies deeper in the skin beneath the tissue and damages its structure. This type of acne may also end up as acne scar after healing.
The non-inflammatory are composed of 2 types
- Blackhead – is a non-inflamed type of acne the pores are clogged but remain to be close that ending up looking like black on top.
- Whiteheads – is also a type of non-inflammatory that clogged the pores but remain open and looking like there’s a white on top.
What is an allergy?
Allergy is also a skin disease that can also be seen anywhere in the skin and not just in the face. It also appears like a tiny red bump but allergy is triggered by the damaged immune system that reacts to a different substance like dust, feathers, pollens, air, insect or some medication. It is composed of 3 different type that commonly mistaken as acne.
- Eczema is also called atopic dermatitis. It looks like as irritated dry skin that is color red and very itchy in the skin. Some eczema becomes infected it release a much worst looking skin problem the simple red bumps become filled with clear to a yellowish fluid.
- Hives – is another skin allergy that also mistaken as acne it looks like red bumps as well and this type of allergy has two types. The condition in the skin is called acute urticaria or chronic urticaria. The acute last for not more than two months while the chronic or long-term urticaria last for more than 3 months or more.
- Contact dermatitis – is a skin allergy that appears to be irritated when the skin in contact with a certain substance that you might be allergic at. It looks like red tiny bumps that are very itching and associated with burning sensation. Some of the things that may cause allergens are metals or jewelry, detergent, soap or anything you applied for contacted your skin. But besides those, there is another type of allergen that does not cause by certain substances instead it is caused by the direct exposure to the sun that can make your skin to react.
Knowing the difference between the acne and allergy can save your skin to suffer from acne. The proper treatment should be used to avoid any irritation and making it much worse.
Treatment for acne
For mild to moderate type of acne –treatment like over the counter drugs is prescribed whether in form of cream, gel, soap, lotion or ointment. It is applied directly in the skin or in the affected area to reduce the inflammation of acne. It is best to use the cream or lotion form for the sensitive type of skin. Gel form is the best option for the dry or oily skin.
Here are the lists of the medication you can try to treat your acne fast:
- Resorcinol – is a medication that applied directly to the face to reduce the breakdown or building of the blackhead or whiteheads in the skin.
- Benzoyl peroxide – should be avoided in treating the skin allergy. But it is best to fight and kills the bacteria that can cause acne; it helps in slowing the production of sebum in the skin and removes the dead skin cell and replaces it with a new one.
- Salicylic acid – is also a no treatment for the skin allergy, but it is very effective in treating the acne. It helps to reduce the inflammation or swelling of the acne with its antibacterial properties. It also prevents the acne from forming.
- Retin A – is a topical solution that applied in the affected area of the face that helps in unblocking the pores or clearing the pores that can cause acne. It unclogged the sebum, bacteria or dry skin to prevent the acne.
- Sulfur – is a form of soap or cream that helps in reducing the inflammation of the skin that can lead to acne. It helps the acne to dry faster and clearing it in a much shorter period of time.
- Azelaic acid is another treatment prescribe that help strengthens the cells inside the follicles. It also stops the excessive sebum production and eruption as well. It also reduces bacterial growth.
For the severe type of acne – This type of medicine is prescribed by the dermatologist. This medication is stronger with possible adverse effect.
- Isotretinoin – is a treatment for a severe type of acne. This is a strong oral retinoid, prescribed by the doctor to treat the severe type of acne. It helps to reduce the swelling and to fight the bacteria in the acne.
- Topical antimicrobials – are dermatologist prescribed cream, a topical retinoid treatment for a severe type of acne. It helps fight the bacteria in the acne that can cause inflammation of the skin. It helps to clear the skin and prevents the acne from forming again.
- Oral contraceptives –is prescribed by your doctor to help the women who suffer from hormonal imbalance. It helps control the acne in women by suppressing the overactive glands. They are usually used for a long-term to correct the hormonal imbalance while treating the acne.
- Oral antibiotic – is another option given by your dermatologist to treat the severe type of acne. It is prescribed up to 6 months to reduce the inflammation or swelling in the face. Antibiotic medication helps to fight the growth of bacteria and killing it as well. It intends to improve the skin and prevent the acne from coming back.
Reminders: Before choosing the type of acne treatment make sure to consult your dermatologist first they can correctly identify what type of acne you have and prescribe that proper treatment. The wrong use of severe treatment may lead to an unwanted result.
Treatment for skin allergies
- Treatment for the mild to severe eczema is recommended and prescribed by the doctor.
- For mild cases, the use of a moisturizer or petroleum jelly is advisable to avoid dryness of the skin. For severe cases, some medication that includes topical steroid and antihistamine is given.
- Treatment for hives is also prescribed by the doctors. They give the use of antihistamine as well to block the causing allergies in the skin. They also recommend avoiding the substance that can trigger the allergy-like dust, pollen and many more. For chronic cases, the medication like prednisone is given it is almost a corticosteroid drug that helps the immune system to block the allergies.
- Treatment for contact dermatitis is the prescribed creams that help the allergy to dry. The use of antihistamine is also given and in some cases may prescribe oral drugs to lessen the allergies. The ointment is also given and applied differently to the affected area to heal. Also, the doctor recommends avoiding the substance that can trigger the allergies is the required.